Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Breaking the Ice

My husband and I enjoy the show "American Pickers." If you haven't watched it, it's basically about two men (Mike Wolfe and Frank Fritz) who, according to the website, are on a mission to "recycle America." They travel from coast to coast in search of vintage and antique items they can restore and sell in their shop, Antique Archaeology. Many times they purchase their items from normal individuals whose homes they just popped in on. When dealing with a difficult seller, they have a strategy they call "Breaking the Ice." When Mike and Frank break the ice, they find one easy item to haggle on, and typically end up paying a little more than the item is worth. Typically, this first deal is not their best, but it's a start.

That's exactly what this first post is for me. It most definitely won't be my best post, or the most enjoyable post to read or write, and I may not feel extremely accomplished after finishing it. But...I will have broken the ice.

Ryan has been "encouraging" me for months now to start blogging, seeing as how he enjoys it so much. He went so far as to create this blog for me last summer, and it's been sitting blank since then. I've thought about it off and on, but couldn't get motivated. However, seeing as how I typically have a lot to say, and this year has been a year of firsts for me and my family, starting my first blog now seems appropriate. So this is me...breaking the ice.

And since all good posts have a picture with them, I see it fit to post a picture of the most important thing in my life that has kept me from "breaking the ice" for the past 10 months.


Marydith Rose

No comments:

Post a Comment